Winona Lodge, Nordic Emporium; Right next to the Winona Forest in Tug Hill is a place to warm up and get good food! http://www.nordicemporium.com/
Winona Forest map with Nordic Emporium location; http://www.nordicemporium.com/trail.pdf
Hugh Quinn, Owner of Osceolla XC Ski center; https://www.facebook.com/hugh.quinn.71
Winona Lodge, Nordic Emporium; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Winona-Lodge-Nordic-Emporium-LLC/188164854533139
Art Roscoe XC ski Area, Allegeney State Park; https://www.facebook.com/ArtRoscoeCrossCountrySkiAndMountainBikeArea
If you know of a site that should be included here, please e-mail your suggestion to the Webmaster
- Adirondack Mountain Club - Genesee Valley Chapter Hiking, backpacking, X-C skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing and cave exploration. The difficulties of these trips range from easy for the beginner, to challenging for the expert. There's always at least one beginners trip in each of the categories so it's a great opportunity to try out a new sport. The conservation committee keeps current (and often take active stands) on such issues as acid rain, state land acquisition and local park planning.
- At Skiing A link to the cross-country skiing section of AtSkiing.com.
- Cayuga Nordic Ski Club The Cayuga Nordic Ski Club's purpose is "the promotion and encouragement of Nordic skiing as a sport, healthful exercise, recreational activity and as a means of enjoying the outdoors." To achieve this purpose, the club organizes Nordic skiing events suitable for skiers of all abilities. These include tours, ski technique clinics, waxing clinics, races, etc. The club also promotes the exchange of information on ski trails and snow conditions in areas around Ithaca. One of the main activities is the promotion of the Cayuga Nordic Classical Ski Race.
- Cross country Ski and Nordic Information Center Home page of the Cross Country Ski Areas Association (CCSAA). Hundreds of U.S. and Canadian cross country ski areas, snow reports, ski equipment, and snowshoe information.
- Cross-country ski information for Rochester and upstate, NY This is a great Cross Country site by Max Lent. Be sure to check out his Cross-country ski areas, Rochester, New York and Cross-country ski areas, upstate New York. They contain detailed descriptions of many Rochester-area and upstate skiing locations with Max's personal assessment.
- Cross Country Skier magazine Recently reborn this magazine is one of the few skiing magazines devoted to cross-county skiing.
- Finger Lakes Trail Finger Lakes Trail Conference home page. Includes information on how to order maps. The main Finger Lakes Trail is 552 miles long and connects the Catskill Mountains with the Allegheny Mountains by passing through remote areas of the Southern Tier of New York State. The main trail connects with the North Country National Scenic Trail in Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania. The Conservation Trail, a major branch trail, connects with the Bruce Trail in Canada. Altogether, the main trail and its branch and loop trails total over 800 miles.
- Footprint Press - Hiking & Biking Books The home page of local outdoors authors Rich & Sue Freeman and their Footprint Press. They publish hiking and biking trail guidebooks for the Finger Lakes, Western NY and Rochester, New York area. Their own books include Take a Hike! and Take Your Bike!.
- Genesee Valley Greenway The Genesee Valley Greenway Trail System is a collection of multi-use public trails that, when completed, will travel from Rochester, NY to Pennsylvania. The main trail will run from Genesee Valley Park to Portage at the south end of Letchworth State Park. It is being created on the tow path of the long abandoned (since 1878) Genesee Valley Canal. More recently (until the mid 1960s) this right-of-way was used as the Rochester Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad. It has a wide cinder based surface through woods and farmlands.
- Grooming. Interested in grooming some trails in your backyard? Tow this behind your snowmobile. Or try one of these babies.
- Genesee Valley Bill Koch Cross Country Ski League This is a NYSSRA-sponsored club for families with children aged 3 to 14. Teaching young kids what to do, and how to get good used equipment at their annual used ski swap is what they do best. Other links: http://www.nordicyouthskiinghoneoyefallsbksl.20m.com/index.html and http://xcrochester.com/new/GVBKYS.htm
- Monroe County Parks Department Many of us spend a lot of time skiing in the county's parks. Maps for most of the parks are available at this site.
- Mountain Travel Guide With over 14,000 pages of information and directions to Waterfalls, Campgrounds, Hiking, Bike, Horse, Ski, Snowmobile, Snowshoe and ATV Trails in Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia. It is the goal of the Mountain Travel Guide to list EVERY Trail, Campground and Waterfall located on public property in the mountains of these areas.
- National Ski Patrol The Genesee Valley Nordic Ski Patrol is one of the ski patrols in the Genesee Valley Region. Genesee Valley Nordic volunteers patrol many of the local places where we ski.
- National Cross Country Ski Education Foundation NCCSEF is the national news from High School to College to National and International teams and race results. Includes an on-line magazine Cross Country Ski Competitor
- New York Hiking Trails A comprehensive set of links to New York State hiking trail pages. This is Ron Sears's web site dedicated to helping hiking trail associations by providing an index of organizational links, assistance publishing information on-line, and providing general information to the public about hiking trails.
- North Star Ski Touring Club A large club (about 1500 members!) based in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. They organize trips locally, regionally and internationally. They also are heavily involved with trail development and trail clearing in the fall, which they have been doing for over 30 years.
- NYS Ski Racing Association (NYSSRA) - XC Skiing Home Page Schedules of cross country ski racing events and race results.
- Park Avenue Bike Shop The shop rents no-wax classic skis. You can contact them for rental information at 2900 Monroe Ave. Rochester NY 14618, 585-381-3080.
- Rochester Cross Country Ski Foundation (RXCSF) The RXCSF provides a unifying structure for the local ski-related organizations to make the Rochester area a recognized ski-friendly location.
- Rochester Orienteering Club The Rochester Orienteering Club holds meets at local parks approximately every other week during the spring, summer and fall. The club also holds ski-orienteering events. For recorded information on upcoming meets, or to leave a message, call the club hotline at 377-5650. Instruction and beginner courses are available at all meets.
- Ski for Light This is an all-volunteer, nonprofit organization founded in 1975. Its mission is to make available physical fitness opportunities to blind, visually or mobility impaired adults in an environment where "we can't" is replaced with "we can." Go to their website or read this article about the organization.
- Tug Hill Ski Club The ski club that maintains the trails in Winona Forest. Also try: http://www.winonaforest.com/skiers.html
- Western New York Biathlon Club The club assists with their winter and summer biathlon events. A few of our club members have tried their hands at biathlon.
This list was provided by the guest speaker at our January 1999 meeting, Dr. Gary Lackmann, Assistant Professor of Meteorology at SUNY Brockport. The annotations are his. We gratefully acknowledge his contribution and his very interesting talk.
The following is a select set of links to some web sites with useful or interesting weather information. This list is not intended to be comprehensive.
- Buffalo National Weather Service Office Excellent source for local weather and forecast information.
- University of Wisconsin SSEC Complete suite of satellite images.
- Forecast Systems Lab (NOAA) Looping satellite images.
- Weather Services Incorporated (WSI) Clickable radar map, also satellite and forecast data.
- The Weather Channel ... as seen on TV...
- Ohio State University Quality output from variety of forecast models.
- Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere (COLA) Beautiful graphics for forecast models and more.
- Environment Canada (RFE and GEM models) Canadian models often superior during cold patterns (really!)
- National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) and Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC) Now, forecast output available out to 360 hours (15 days)!
- For a COMPLETE set of links, see Univ. of Michigan's wxnet.